Friday, September 25, 2009

Parents and Profanity

I STRONGLY disagree with parents who use excessive profanity in front of their kids. It drives me crazy when I see parents weave curse words into usual dialogue in the presence of their children as if they were regular, common, run-of-the-mill words.

I see this more frequently than I would like. Today, while I was leaving work, there was a guy with his two kids in the parking lot. The dude opens his car door and immediately starts lacing into his daughter about how he is "infuriated by all the s***" she keeps leaving in his car. The girl had to be 7 or 8 years old at most. The boy was maybe old enough to be in preschool.

Now, don't get me wrong, I get aggravated when my kids leave food wrappers and other trash in my car too. And I completely understand having to raise your voice to drive home a point while disciplining your child. But to lace your tirade with profanity is just uncalled for. It teaches kids words they don't need to learn yet and that it is okay to use them in public places. Keep in mind, we were in an elementary school parking lot.

No preschooler or elementary age student needs to be screamed at with profanity. Simple as that. You can make your point just as easily without those words.

This is just one example. I see it everywhere. Walmart, sporting events, you name it. Am I the only one that was taught that these words were "bad" words? My parents cursed. But it was not very frequent and never in public. I knew that these words were not acceptable to say whenever one felt like it.

So is it just the latest generation of parents who have more relaxed views about language? I mean come on, just listen to the radio or turn on the TV. A couple of decades ago you would have never heard what you hear now. Or maybe it's just because I'm older now and a parent myself that I notice things like this now. Maybe things haven't gotten worse and I'm just more aware. Whatever it is, I wish things could change.

I didn't say anything to the guy. It wasn't my place. He could discipline his children how he sees fit. But I sure don't have to agree with it.

-wj

1 comment: