Saturday, November 5, 2011

Date or Jackets Game on TV?

My family recently moved to Troy, Ohio.  Since the move, our lives have mostly been devoted to unpacking boxes, fixing things we didn't know needed fixed, and basically just getting settled down.  But tonight my wife and I are going on a date.  The mom-in-law has graciously offered to watch our three kids and we're off to dinner and a movie.

What makes this occasion "blogworthy" is the fact that to go out with my wife, I am voluntarily missing a Blue Jackets game on TV.  Up until this year, I would have taken a rain check.  There would be no way in heck that I would miss watching that game on TV.  What's different about this year?  There's no need to watch because I already know the outcome.

Yes, I'm exaggerating, but I think my decision pretty much sums up what most Jackets fans are feeling right now.  That feeling is the lack of hope.  We feel like the season is lost.  We feel like the Jackets don't have a very good chance of winning games.  So why make watching their game a priority over something that could be done on any other night?  Why subject myself to the frustration?

So I'll go out tonight with my lovely wife.  I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for a Jackets victory but I'm not going to expect one.  I'll enjoy a nice night out...and perhaps check in on the score from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment